Carter County Assessor's Office Banner Meet Kerry Ross Important Dates About Us Our Location News Search Tax Rates Information Download Forms Home Page

Questions & answers about HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION

Homestead Exemption is an exemption of $1,000 of the assessed valuation. This can be a savings of $75 to$125 depending upon which area of the county you are located .

You must be the homeowner who resides in the property on January 1. The deed must be executed on or before January 1 and filed with the County Clerks Office on or before February 1. You must be a resident of Oklahoma.

You may apply for Homestead Exemption with the Carter County Assessors Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.    Applications for homestead exemption are now available for downloading. 


If you have been granted a homestead exemption and continue to occupy the homestead property you shall not be required to re-apply for homestead exemption. However, if you change your deed for some reason or move you will need to re-file between January 1 and March 15.
If you are head of household and qualify for homestead exemption, you may also qualify for additional homestead. You may receive an additional $1,000 assessment exemption if the gross household income from all sources did not exceed $20,000 for the past calendar year.


You may file for additional homestead between January 1 and March 15. There is a simple form on income that you will fill out as part of your application.   Click here to download.  If you are 65 or older as of March 15 of the filing period and presently qualify for additional homestead, you will not have to renew the additional homestead annually. However, it will be the responsibility of the taxpayer to notify the Assessor’s office if your income exceeds $20,000. 


The form 538-H must be filled out and mailed to the Oklahoma Tax Commission at 2501 Lincoln Blvd, Oklahoma City, Ok., 73194-0003. Anyone who is 65 or older or totally disabled, who is head of household, and a resident of the state of Oklahoma during the previous year and whose gross household income does not exceed $12,000 is qualified for this program. You may obtain the necessary form from the County Assessors office or contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission at 405/521-3108.